Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Then you know you've just gotta jump too!

Tam has up a funny post, and I figured I'd jump in on the action.




Top is my old, beat up Spyderco Endura (left pocket).  Several years back, I snapped the tip off while whittling a hole through a piece of lumber.  Spyderco changed the tip design on their Enduras in later models, because of just this problem.

After buying a new carry knife, I modified this one by reshaping the tip, grinding from the back of the blade with a wet wheel until I'd produced a wharncliffe-esque profile.  While I was at it, I ground down through the thumb hole to make a makeshift Emerson wave opener.  Normally, I'm carrying my new Endura wave in my left pocket, but I pulled it out to use it last week, and just slipped this one back in in its place.  Surprisingly, this thumb hole opener works better than the production wave device as both a bottle opener AND as a rapid opening device.  I'm still wary about the strength of the blade after decreasing the width, but I still use this knife all the time.

The bottom (right pocket) is my Cold Steel Lawman.  Dad gave me this one over Christmas last year.  It's very different from my usual every day carry knife, I usually don't like the thumb stud openers, but this one doesn't seem to give me much trouble.  I've kept this knife mostly unused (and untested... I need to get another that I can test to destruction), but I've wanted to maintain the factory edge geometry and use this for my "flesh knife".

Well, there they are... what's in my pockets right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment