Thursday, September 22, 2011

Guaranteed to stop an assailant...

with bouts of hysterical laughter.

With another nod to Tam, I just had to comment on this poor, unfortunate, mistreated pistol.

Click for link to original picture

Somewhere, somehow... Someone thought this was a good idea.  Having recently purchased a Sig SP2022, I'm hoping that my new semi-auto carry pistol hasn't already been contaminated.

How the hell do you holster this thing?

Seeing this tumerous growth, all I could think was "All its missing is a bayonet AND a bipod".  Then, I realized, Sig had been generous enough to offer a bayonet (some assembly required), free with purchase of your DIY sidearm cancer

This converts a weapon with 5 basic user interfaces for use in shooting (slide, decocker, trigger, magazine release, slide stop), 6 if you count magazines, and ups the count by how many?  Light switch with two modes (light and strobe), which requires either multiple presses, or an additional setting on a slide switch (that can be bumped).  An activation button for the laser.  A holographic sight with multiple brightness settings?

I can see the usefulness of a weapon light.  I can see the usefulness of laser sights, especially when the activation is automatic (Crimson Trace).  But the benefits seem incredibly outweight by the added complexity of all these devices.  Along with mounting a sight that prevents the use of backup iron sights in case of dead batteries, electronics failure, glass breaking, etc...?

When I'm relying on a pistol, the last thing I need is to be fumbling with light switches, turning on my holographic sights to have a weapon I'm capable of properly aiming, and that I'm incapable of holstering in an accesible manner.

If you need all these devices on a weapon, you're already in some serious shit, and you need a long gun, so put them on your long gun (but make sure you have iron sight backups).  Leave your pistol alone... Of course, if you NEED all these devices, they're not gonna help anyways... You're the weapon, not your gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment