Thursday, September 8, 2011

Coolest BAG day yet!

Howdy folks,

This is my first time post in ages.

I was browsing through pawn shops here in Garland looking for files and deals on tools for my shop, and I spotted a Remington 51 in the glass cabinet. They were asking $400, and after several days of reading everything I could find on it, I went back and walked out $200 more broke, but grinning like an idiot.

Done!

I'm sure that she's pre-1923 because there are no barrel codes on the left side of the trigger guard, but I'm not sure beyond that. According to Ed Buffaloe (http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Rem51/rem51.html), the pre-1921 guns should have a 9 serration slide (mine does), but no Remington trademark or caliber stamp on the barrel (mine does). This makes me wonder if I just have a 1921-22 gun, and the slide was replaced, or if I've just got some weird transition period gun.

Rear of slide

Trigger guard

Slide and barrel.  380 stamp

I took several while I was taking the gun apart for cleaning.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6168453...7627503875725/

As you can see, the slide seems like it was sanded with pretty rough paper (See above on slide shown in barrel stamp photo. The take-out pin has been sanded down a bit with the slide, and the left side of the frame is missing some blue and seems to have been lightly scratched up by the trigger guard. I think there was some light engraving on the left side of the slide, which prompted the bungled refinishing attempt.

Otherwise, the frame and internals seem to be in great shape, there's a small amount of pitting near the left grip (probably where it rubbed against skin while being carried?).

I'm not sure how to proceed in restoring this gun. I'm not sure if I should look to Numrich for a replacement, or try to refinish the current slide. I've never done any bluing, and it kind of intimidates me. I'm also not looking to put significant monetary investment into the equipment to do so, because I'm not likely to be using it on any other projects.

I bought the pistol to be a shooter, also because I wanted it to have a good home (one that wouldn't abuse it with sandpaper!). Still, I'd like to retain as much value in the pistol as possible, and I'm not sure if replacing the slide or refinishing the current is the better choice.

Any suggestions?

If the suggestion is to refinish, any recommendation on good gunsmiths in the Dallas area?

No comments:

Post a Comment